Vacancy Announcement: Programme Officer
JOIN TO MAKE A CHANGE IN THE LIVES OF YOUNG PEOPLE AFFECTED AND LIVING WITH HIV IN ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
Position: Programme Officer
Contract Type: Temporary – 6 months (3-month probation period; with the possibility of extension)
Reporting To: Regional Coordinator
Location: Bangkok, Thailand (Asia Pacific Regional Position)
Closing Date of Application: 15th August 2019*
Tentative Interview Dates: Before the end of August 2019
Starting Date of Role: September 2019
Role Summary: The Sustainability of HIV Services for Key Populations in Asia Program (SKPA Program) aims to promote sustainable services for key populations at scale to stop HIV transmissions and AIDS-related deaths by 2030. Countries included in the program are Bhutan, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Timor-Leste. The grant is funded by the Global Fund and managed by the Australian Federation of AIDS Organizations (AFAO) as the principal recipient. Youth LEAD is one of the regional sub-recipients of the grant. Out of five objectives, Youth LEAD will contribute to community system strengthening and enabling environments, focusing on Papua New Guinea and Timor-Leste.
The Programme Officer will be responsible for the implementation and management of the grant based on the agreed work-plan and budget to produce high-quality results.
ABOUT THE CANDIDATE
Youth LEAD welcomes applications from all appropriately qualified young people under the age of 30. Youth LEAD is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment, in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfil their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all young key populations, including young people living with HIV.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply. This opening is for candidates from Thailand or candidates who can legally work in Thailand.
- Develop and comprehend the work-plan, budget, M&E plan with key indicators of the grant and strategize for its effective implementation. Innovative ideas during the implementation are highly desirable
- Coordinate with the principal recipient (AFAO), and other sub-recipients at the regional and country-level, including stakeholders during the implementation of the grant
- Liaise and coordinate with country partners in Papua New Guinea and Timor-Leste; identifying key stakeholders and YKP champions at the country level
- Understand donor requirements to ensure their needs are met during the implementation of the grant
- Measure project performances using appropriate tools and techniques
- Ensure coordination and completion of projects are on time within the budget and within the scope of the grant
- Coordinate with Youth LEAD’s finance person and senior management
- Provide required technical support to implementing countries
- Engage in monitoring visits to implementing countries
Advocacy and Capacity Development
- Ensure that voices of young key populations are included, made aware of and represented at different forums/meetings at various levels
- Liaise with various stakeholders and enhance the credibility of Youth LEAD by fostering collaborations and partnerships
- Represent Youth LEAD at different forums and meetings at the national and international level, if needed.
- Effectively manage networking with Youth LEAD country focal points and provide them with the required support
- Comprehend and manage the capacity development initiatives of Youth LEAD, in particular, NewGen and the YKP Implementation toolkit.
- Identify the capacity needs of Youth LEAD’s focal points by offering proactive solutions
- Engage in the development and revision of Youth LEAD’s training manuals
- Organize events, training, workshops, and meetings and lead the facilitation.
Communications and Networking
- Develop policy briefs, advocacy position papers and reports
- Provide support to the Communication Officer to update Youth LEAD social media with related project achievements and other information
- Contribute to new communication strategies and the development of a communications manual
- Attend and engage in networking events to promote the works of Youth LEAD
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be under the age of 30 when applying for the position
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, such as social sciences, development, international relations, health or any related fields
- Minimum of two years’ experience in advocacy work, project management, international development or health
- Prior experience working in HIV or with young people at the regional level is an asset but not required
- Travel is required to selected countries for the implementation of the grant. Applicant must be fit for travel.
- Strong project management skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- A team-player
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Knowledge of a second language or Asian language is an asset
- Good presentation and interpersonal skills and excellent report writing skills
- Have the ability to create partnerships within the project area
- People management skills, as well as mentorship experience and team management skills
- Logistics and organizational skills are an asset
The successful candidate will work at Youth LEAD office in Asok, Bangkok (Thailand). Youth LEAD provides health, life and travel insurance to all employees, paid time off (PTO) and annual leave of up to 20 days, exclusive of Thai public holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the criteria and the required qualifications are requested to send their updated CVs and motivation letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Programme Officer – (NAME)” before August 15, 2019: 11:59pm Bangkok Time (+7GMT)*.
*Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview