Become a Youth LEAD Board Member
Apply to become a Youth LEAD Board Member today
Do you want to become a board member to Youth LEADs’ growing network of young key populations and young people living with HIV?
Do you want to step up and help ensure Youth LEAD’s strategic direction?
Do you want to play a larger role in Youth LEAD’s governance?
Five seats are available, one of them could be yours.
Youth LEAD is the regional network of youth activists working in the field of HIV/AIDs in Asia and the Pacific. Youth LEAD represents Youth Leadership, Education, Advocacy and Development. We are a network of young key populations (YKP) and young people living with HIV(YPLHIV) working to empower and strengthen regional partnerships with local and national YKP organisations across Asia and the Pacific. Our network aims to provide regional members, also known as focal points with the necessary skills to address issues and challenges faced by key population communities. We want to raise awareness of issues faced by young people and strengthen the role of young peoples in the HIV response.
What are Youth LEAD’s values and principles?
- Ensure active involvement and meaningful participation of all YKPs;
- Ensure equality in representation, involvement and participation among all YKPs;
- Foster partnership and collaboration;
- Implement a sense of accountability;
- Promote evidence and human rights-based approaches in creating best practices;
- Respect diversity and ensure gender balance in all aspects;
- Ensure a rights-based approach to all forms of decision making;
- Promote equality and non-discrimination for YKPs and all working in HIV/AIDS;
- Promote and foster gender equity in all organizational policies and programs.
What are the roles and responsibilities of Youth LEAD’s board members?
- Strategic Direction - participate in Youth LEAD’s strategic planning process and help monitor its implementation and assume leadership roles to support YKPs and YPLHIV.
- Governance - establish policies and continually monitor the proper implementation of those policies by using and regulating influence to direct and control the actions and affairs of management and others.
- Financial Oversight - approve work plans, proposals and maintain oversight on Youth LEAD’s activities.
- Performance - Establish and oversee the framework for the monitoring and periodic performance of the secretariat.
- Risk Management - Oversee the strategy for identifying and managing risks (including but not limited to financial, reputational, legal, regulatory, operational and strategic risks).
- External Relations - Promote the active engagement of and collaboration with a wide and diverse range of partners.
- Partnership & Reporting - work with the secretariat to help
How is the board set up, what does the structure look like?
The Youth LEAD Board consists of seven seats, two seats allocated to former alumni board members and five seats to new members (focal points of Youth LEAD). Board member elections take place every two years. All seven members will work to represent young key populations and young people living with HIV for Asia and the Pacific for 2020 - 2022.
Youth LEAD Board members need to:
- Be under the age of 30 at the time of accepting the position of a board member;
- From Asia and the Pacific;
- Identify as a key population or is a young person living with HIV;
- A current focal point to the Youth LEAD network;
- Have a minimum of two years of experience working with or advocating for young key populations, HIV and SRHR;
- Good working knowledge of English both verbal and written.
Board members are expected to fulfil their role for two years.
How what does the election process look like, what is the timeline?
- Call for applications end: 19 July 2020
- Review of applications: 20 - 22 July 2020
- Board member nominations (via poll/form): 23 - 26 July 2020
- Announcement of new board members via Zoom Conference with Youth LEAD focal points: 29 July 2020
The election process will involve candidates submitting an application form. The information taken from the application form will be used to create a candidates booklet, which will be eventually be distributed internally among Youth LEAD's focal points before the voting process begins. Focal points will be allowed to vote for one person based on the answers provided in the application form. More details on consent and privacy to the sharing of information is listed in the application form. Also, details on the voting process will be shared closer to time.
What do I need to do to become a board member?
There are four simple steps to becoming a board member:
- Read the information carefully to see if you qualify in becoming a board member
- Fill out the application form, download below
- Send the completed application form to email@example.com
- Use subject line “Board Member Application - *Name* - *Country*”
- Attach a bio photo (JPG, JPEG, PNG)
If you have trouble understanding the information or have questions about the application process, please contact Eddy Rudram at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with a Youth LEAD focal point from your country if issues are related to language.